Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Incremental backup

2008-06-04 11:01:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP Incremental backup
From: "Green, Steven" <steven.green AT teldta DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 09:33:52 -0500
Pat,

We backup a Celerra (NS80G) with dedicated tape drives and also perform
a weekly full and daily incremental. We've not had to concern ourselves
with ctime/mtimes of files - just set the policy schedule to an
incremental type (we run diffs) and let 'er rip. We do VBB backups of
our Celerra rather than the default PAX (tar) backups because we found
this to be a better performer with our LTO2 tape drives. VBB is
EMC-specific and must be set using a custom 'set type = vbb' line in the
policy (it's documented in Celerra NDMP backup manual). Note that VBB
requires usage of checkpoint (snapsure) files, whereas a PAX type of
backup it is optional.