Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] FYI - Symantec made a change to their FTP(nolongerallows list)

2008-05-29 15:13:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] FYI - Symantec made a change to their FTP(nolongerallows list)
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:54:25 -0400
I didn't say anything about hackers.  I said pirates.  And if you don't think piracy is such a big deal how about posting your next book in .pdf format on your website for everyone to "purchase" via a paypal link?  Now if you put that .pdf behind a simple login screen and only provide logins to people who have paid, that might go a little better for you, wouldn't it?  Is it impenetrable?  No.  Can people find ways around it?  Sure.  Is it better than nothing?  Hell yeah.

"Real people" do their jobs by downloading a single copy of the software they need and keeping a local repository.  I don't think anyone here goes to the Veritas website to download a client EVERY TIME they need client software.  I personally went to their website, registered some valid serial numbers, downloaded my software and haven't been back since.

-Jonathan