Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] HPUX catalog images are huge

2008-05-15 16:37:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] HPUX catalog images are huge
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 16:22:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 15 May 2008, Jeff Cleverley wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> I just found out that a new 6.5.1 installation I set up in Singapore filled
> up the database.  The new database file system is 3x larger than the 5.0
> server this replaced.  We did a new server installation and not an upgrade
> migration so the database was clean.
>
> When I went looking at the disk usage I found most of the disk space being
> used by images on 3 hpux servers.  Two of the servers are network clients and
> the other is an Enterprise client backing up over the SAN.  The space used by
> the hpux Enterprise client is 5x the amount of space used by a linux
> Enterprise client with roughly the same amount of storage and used inodes.
> The linux box is probably the more heavily used system and should have a
> similar rate of change, if not more, than the hpux servers.
>
> The sizes were roughly 9 gig for the linux client and 45 gig on the hpux
> client.  This includes compressing data after 15 days.  The old 5.0 database
> file system was only a 40 gig file system and everything fit using
> compression after 30 days.  This means my image usage has increased by about
> 6X
>
> The only changes that I know were made between the old environment and the
> new is that TIR with move detection was implemented.  This was applied to all
> clients and not just hpux.  Other than that, everything else is the same.
> Any ideas why the hpux images are so large?
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff
>
> --
>
> Jeff Cleverley
> Unix Systems Administrator
> 4380 Ziegler Road
> Fort Collins, Colorado 80525
> 970-288-4611
> jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com

Hi Jeff, what is your logging set to, there is all sorts of logging with
6.x, I am not sure about 6.5, but with 6 if you don't turn much of the
logging off it will fill up the disk exactly as you described.

There is also PBX logging, what logs in particular are growing?

/opt/VRTS*/logs?
/usr/openv/logs?
/usr/openv/netbackup/logs?
/usr/openv/debug/*?

There are many logs in 6.x, which are growing too fast for you?

Justin.