Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] how to centralize all exluce_list ?

2008-05-15 13:30:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] how to centralize all exluce_list ?
From: <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com>
To: <didier.brun AT fr.thalesgroup DOT com>, <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2008 11:03:09 -0600
Well, this is true if you define "bug" as "something I don't like".

It's by design, not a bug.  The exclude list in Windows is buried in the registry, that's why bp[gs]etconfig is used for it.  Unix, of course, is file based and all the standard file transfer methods are viable answers.

Centralized exclude lists would be too broad - unless you got into some strange naming scheme.  If it were on the destination media server, then every block would have to be backed up and then excluded at the destination.  That'd be too network intrusive.

Policy-based exclude lists might be nice but you'd still have to have another list on your client for oddball stuff.  Certainly the clients in my standard unix sets are too varied to allow a centralized list on even a policy level.

There's a couple solutions to this, some of which aren't very fun but will work.

1. Create a ssh trust relationship to your clients from your master, use scp pull & push these files.
2. use alternate client bpbackup & bprestore to transport files
3. bpgp works on earlier versions of NB (this was my old method)

...ftp, rcp, tftp, all sorts of stuff.  It's just files.