Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to get capacity or type of tape media

2008-05-14 14:32:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to get capacity or type of tape media
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 18:15:05 +0000
On Wed, May 14, 2008 at 11:01:07AM -0600, Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com wrote:
> This is very promising.  You could cross reference tpconfig info, which
> has the hcart, hcart2, hcart3, etc labels with a drive id, then do a
> scan to find the type of drive, then use a lookup table to find the
> stated capacity.

I'd just make sure the setup was good, then hope the type was correct.
This is just for estimating anyway.

Going as far as scanning the drive type doesn't gurantee anything
either.  You can stick an LTO1 tape in an LTO2 drive and you won't get
200G (uncompressed) on it.

> I'm not sure how useful this is, though.  Knowing you have a 200G drive
> only gives you a minimum amount that can fit on the drive.  With drive
> compression you go up to 4 or 5 times this storage with nice squishy
> data.

It's just an estimate for the admin.  Networker does this automatically.
It has a "volume capacity" (which can be changed) that is used only for
giving a percentage used estimate.  I'm not aware of any similar
facility in NetBackup.

--
Darren