Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VM Master / Media Servers

2008-05-14 09:57:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VM Master / Media Servers
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:36:52 -0400
 The Netbackup 6 OS Compatibility Matrix lists VMWare explicitly and the
only servers they support are NOM and VBR.  They also list support for
VMWare Guest Clients running the appropriate OS agent but no other
servers are listed.  I looked into this when we purchased VMWare and the
only solution I could come up with for Vming your Master servers (and it
would still be unsupported) was to use NAS Storage, iSCSI or VTLs that
"look" like disk.  VMWare confirmed no support for any tape devices or
local SCSI devices except DISK.  I did look a bit into RedHat support
for a virtual master server configuration using their flavor of Xen and
it looked plausible, but I never had the time to fully follow-up with an
SE or read the whitepapers.

-Jonathan