Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Best setup for NetBackup in 2 sites across the WAN link

2008-04-30 22:42:48
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Best setup for NetBackup in 2 sites across the WAN link
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy" <anepomn AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 21:31:32 -0500
On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 2:05 PM, Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy <anepomn AT gmail DOT com> wrote:

What is the best setup for NetBackup in 2 sites across the WAN link?

I will have a tape library on each site.

- Should I purchase 2 NetBackup servers and manage them separately?
- Is it better (or cheaper) to purchase NetBackup server for a primary
site and media manager for the remote site?

It depends on what you're trying to do.  We have a single master in the US with media servers scattered throughout the country.  One has an attached tape library and the others are disk-based.  We also have a separate master server at our India location because we didn't want the latencies of the catalog traffic back "home".  It also has local tape.  We have pretty good network connectivity to our remote sites and we rarely have a communication failure.

There is no right answer for this and it really depends on what your business requirements are.

There is no doubt that managing 2 master servers is more work than managing 1 master server.  On the other hand, if you get an upgrade wrong, at least you only screw up one site :-)

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP