Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] (41) network connection timed out

2008-04-30 09:25:41
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] (41) network connection timed out
From: ckstehman AT pepco DOT com
To: Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck AT habmalnefrage DOT de>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:55:46 -0400

Have you verified your NIC settings from the client to the switch?  In our environment the GigE are autonegotiate, 100MB are full Duplex no auto negotiate.
A mismatch between the Cleint's NIC and the switch can cause problems.

=============================
Carl Stehman
IT Distributed Services Team
Pepco Holdings, Inc.
202-331-6619
Pager 301-765-2703
ckstehman AT pepco DOT com

Michael Schmarck <michael.schmarck AT habmalnefrage DOT de>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

04/30/2008 08:51 AM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] (41) network connection timed out

Hello.

When I run a backup job, I get a "(41) network connection timed out"
error.

The backup job triggers a bpstart_notify.$Policy_Name script. In this
script, I have a

       sleep 900

statement. So that this doesn't cause any problems, I increased the
BPSTART_TIMEOUT in /opt/openv/netbackup/bp.conf on the master+media
server. I also restarted all the netbackup processes (I ran
/etc/init.d/netbackup stop && /etc/init.d/netbackup start). In the
"Client Properties" of this client, i set the "client read timeout"
to 1000. Restarted netbackup afterwards.

But I still get this error message.

BUT: I only get that error message, when I backup to tape. When I change
the schedule of this policy so, that it stores the backup stuff on a
"filesystem" policy storage unit, I do not get that error message.
However, backups to tape work just fine, when I decrease the sleep
value from 900 (to 1, for example).

Q: Would anyone know, why I get those (41) error messages, when I have
the large "sleep" set and backup to tape? Or why do I *not* get those
error messages, when I backup to disk (with a large sleep)?

On the master server, there's a
/usr/openv/netbackup/bin/bpstart_notify.Unix script. There's no script
bpstart_notify.$Policy.$Schedule. The exact same script also exists on
the client.

Using NetBackup 6.0MP4 on Solaris 10 (client and server). There's just
one server - it acts as master & media server.

Thanks a lot,
Michael

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI"). This Email is intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed. If you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies. PHI policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email communication. PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such communications.