Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP tape drives

2008-04-29 13:46:06
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NDMP tape drives
From: "Meidal, Knut" <kmeidal AT amgen DOT com>
To: Jerry Rioux <jerryrioux AT gmail DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 10:29:30 -0700

This is a situation where a VTL would be quite useful.

You could create some virtual drives that are assigned as NDMP drives and dedicated to a filer, and also have a suitable number of non-NDMP drives assigned to master or media servers.

The VTL would then clone tapes from both behind the scenes.

The need for SSO drives (with associated license cost and configuration complexity) would also disappear.

I can’t remember off the top of my head what our NetApp/Symantec folks have told me about the SSO for NDMP, but I think it is a feature of 6.5, and some version of OnTap.