Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup silently filters MS SQL datafiles w/oany warning

2008-04-29 12:53:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup silently filters MS SQL datafiles w/oany warning
From: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
To: <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 17:31:38 +0100
Sounds similar to this
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/290900.htm which is definitely
a case of "scary".  Seems like there is a problem with the way MS DFS
Replication shares interacts with NetBackup.  I don't do Windows either
but my MS colleagues assure me that there is nothing "funny" about the
filesystems that NetBackup is "choosing" not to back up.  Personally I
think the fault likes with Microsoft/Windows though for telling
NetBackup not to back them up.  The end result is the same though
"scary".  I'd rather NetBackup got told about everything and I had to
sort out the code 1s and take responsibility for deciding what not to
back up.

cheers, Phil

Phil Weber MBCS CITP
Storage Technical Services - Senior UNIX Technologist
Business Technology

Phone: 01384 26 4136

Egg Banking plc