Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Deduping with Tape as a final destination

2008-04-28 12:13:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Deduping with Tape as a final destination
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 11:53:04 -0400
Actually - EMC just gave a presentation here of their BURA
(BackUP/Recovery/Archive) stuff.  I gather the deduplication device they
sell will allow you to backup to tape if you want but not with NBU
unfortunately.   To use NBU you'd still have to do standard
duplication/vaulting.

We're doing vaulting from our dedupe Data Domain devices to tape.

If you really only want to store deduped data remotely you might want to
look at putting a unit at offsite storage or your DR site.   Both Data
Domain and EMC allow you to push the deduped data across WAN that way.
I'm guessing the other vendors do as well.