Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] master vs. media servers behind firewalls.

2008-04-28 10:56:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] master vs. media servers behind firewalls.
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Michitsch, John" <JMICHITS AT gannett DOT com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 09:22:23 -0500
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 6:31 AM, Michitsch, John <JMICHITS AT gannett DOT com> wrote:

This is a question about a Netbackup 6.5 deployment.  We are currently using separate master servers for our internal clients and our external clients in both of our primary datacenters.  This equates to four separate backup environments to manage.  We would like to have one master for all of our environments.  We are thinking about one master server in our primary location, a media server in the secondary location and media servers for the two external environments.  We would open ports to allow the external media servers to communicate through the firewall to our internal master server, giving us a single view for all backups.

  However, when reading the documentation, Symantec recommends having a separate master per firewall domain and using NOM to manage all of them.  We do not want to pay for three additional master server licenses and a NOM license.  Is anyone already doing this, or have any opinions as to why I would not do it?

We currently have a single master and then have a media server in each firewall domain.  This works very well for us and we've been doing this for many years.  There are security implications doing this so you need to watch yourself to make sure you're not jumping firewall domains across your backup network.

BTW, NOM does not require a separate license but it does require a separate system.  We don't use NOM at all.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org