Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Deduping with Tape as a final destination

2008-04-24 16:24:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Deduping with Tape as a final destination
From: mbpettis <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 14:45:20 -0400
Hi, All.
Just trying to get some clarification here.  We currently have NBU 6.0MP6 on
Win2003, with a Sepaton VTL and a Dell tape library with FC.  We're looking at
two possible directions at this time: 1) Going to NBU6.5 or 2) Going to
CommVault as our backup options and, in either case looking to Dedupe. Whether
to use Sepaton's target based or the backup app's source based Dedupe solution,
is still being pondered.

My question is actually rather simple; if we are backing up/deduping to the
Sepaton and want to then copy the data to tape, will it be a matter of a
straight copy from VTL to tape?  Or will this require un-deduping from the VTL
and the re-deduping to tape?

Thanks,
Michael