Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup protecting 30TB - 60TB NetApp over NDMP.

2008-04-23 16:30:07
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup protecting 30TB - 60TB NetApp over NDMP.
From: "Iverson, Jerald" <Jerald.Iverson AT invesco DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2008 15:11:16 -0500
if you choose your restore files correctly, backups can be very fast.
DAR (direct access restore (i think)) has been available since netbackup
4.5 (maybe fp3).  read the rules for using it, and restores "can" speed
up significantly.  you can't choose directories, only files, and are
limited to 1024 or so.  we had an admin click on a directory to restore
and it took 6 hours to complete as it had to go through several entire
tapes (sdlt at the time).  then in the restore gui i went down into the
directory and manually selected the 25 files that were there and the
restore took 15 minutes.  99% of our ndmp restores are for files.  for
us if someone screws up a directory, the ~snapshot is there.  your
mileage may vary.

jerald