Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] nbu 5.1 and catalog backups initiated by vault

2008-04-15 17:05:13
Subject: [Veritas-bu] nbu 5.1 and catalog backups initiated by vault
From: "Roger Dombrowski" <RDombrowski AT dcvast DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:40:14 -0500

Greeting fellow posters,

I’m working on a Netbackup 5.1 environment and we’ve just configured vault to duplicate images from a VTL to physical media. After the duplication step we have NBU run a catalog backup. Here’s my question/concern/observation. I have seen where the vault job has initiated a catalog backup and then a little later (while the catalog backup is still running) the scheduler will fire off other regular backups. Isn’t this a big no-no? Shouldn’t those regular backups be making changes to the catalog while the catalog is being backed up and therefore invalidate the catalog backup? Is the catalog backup somehow smart enough to not backup parts of the catalog that are changing?

Before vault, I have never seen this behavior (maybe I’ve never tried to kick off backups while the catalog was running). Should we be concerned about the validity of the catalog backups?

TIA

dcVAST  With the right infrastructure, anything is possible.

 Roger Dombrowski
 Customer Engineer

 dcVAST, Inc.
 1319 Butterfield Rd.