Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?

2008-04-11 19:05:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?
From: Jeff Bryer <bryer AT sfu DOT ca>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 15:51:32 -0700
After doing a bit more digging, I have learned that a SUN Thumper works well as
a media server.  Our local SUN office was able to provide some documentation
outlining the process.  They said the PDFs are distributable so if you can't
find
them via SUN, I've made them available for anyone to get from:
  http://www.sfu.ca/~bryer/x4500/

I don't see anything in the documents to explain the rationale behind requiring
a separate master server.  Of course two issues have been brought up here
(BMR and the database performance).

The documents show a stock Thumper (with RaidZ) being able to push 350MB/s.
With mirrored pairs and additional network (or 10GbE) up to 550MB/s can be
achieved.  This is with Update 4 (8/07) of Solaris 10.

I still would like to see a Thumper used as a master server assuming of course
that BMR isn't needed.

--
Jeff Bryer                              bryer AT sfu DOT ca
Systems Administrator                   (778) 782-4935