Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Clarification About Open File Backups

2008-04-08 16:30:02
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Clarification About Open File Backups
From: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>
To: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 15:10:49 -0500

Thank you, thank you, thank you, that is a lot of very useful insight and I'm glad I finally asked.

One more question for clarification. In reference to "I guess I'm not sure what you mean by "enable VSS on all volumes of the client". If that statement isn't obvious, then I'm already beginning to panic thinking I've done something wrong. I've been buried up to my eyeballs in NetBackup for so long that my basic Windows skills are just about obsolete.  But what I was referring to is for each client on which I want to use VSS, I go into Windows Explorer, right click on a volume (Y: drive for example) and I Enable VSS and then configure the schedule for the shadow copy. In my case, I delete the two default schedules and I create a "Once" schedule for five years down the road.  By that time the hardware will have been replaced so I don't have to worry about VSS copies eating up disk space unnecessarily.  The only copies being made are during the backups; or so I assume. Is this not correct?  I thought that by default, VSS was not enabled on a Win2k3 server and had to be manually enabled and then configured for size, schedule and location of the file.  I tried to ask a Symantec Engineer once during an open ticket for something else but he told me to ask Microsoft.

Is there a better way?

Thanks

randy