Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Status Code 150's

2008-04-03 11:34:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Status Code 150's
From: "ZIMMER, RANDY K [AG/1000]" <randy.k.zimmer AT monsanto DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2008 10:10:03 -0500

All,

I have a Master Server which is a RP2470 with 1024KB of memory and we process about 1500 backups per day through it.  In the past two weeks I have experienced Code 150s, but the backups were not cancelled by an administrator, but by the system.  Here is the error we receive when it occurs:

3688660: 05:05:29.648 [10196] <16> start_backup_job: fork error: Not enough space (12)

3688661:
05:05:29.648 [10196] <16> run_any_ret_level: failure starting backup job, PID=-1

When this happens nothing else will schedule unti we either restart all the NB process or reboot the server, and I have done both.  We logged a call on this and there is no fix for this as of yet but there is one planned in 5.1MP7 which is due out sometime this month.  The recommendation was to increase the memory on the server (I realize 1GB is extremely low), and we should be receiving it shortly.  I have load balanced the schedule as much as I can.  Has anyone else experienced this issue and if so do you have any information that would be helpful?  The first two times this happened I rebooted the server and the subsequent outages all I did was recycle the application.  Im looking for any and all opinions on this topic.

Thanks,

Randy K. Zimmer
Sr. Unix System Administrator
Office: 314-694-3109
Cell:  314-960-0500
rkzimm AT monsanto DOT com

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately. Please delete it and all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly prohibited.

All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring, reading and archival by Monsanto, including its subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware". Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code transmitted by or accompanying this e-mail or any attachment.