Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Archiving vs Backups (a question for Mr. Backup and others here)

2008-03-31 19:39:36
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Archiving vs Backups (a question for Mr. Backup and others here)
From: "Robin Small" <Robin.Small AT fresno DOT gov>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 16:26:58 -0700
Since the Archiving vs Backup issue got brought up..

I struggle (a lot) with duplicating a longer-retention Monthly clone of my
weekly backups. We're getting Vault, so that part is settled.
It got me thinking about *why* I do my monthlys (to recover data removed from
disk that's past my weekly retention period), which is probably more meant for
Archiving than it is for Backups.

So, I'm curious: What are the trends for Archiving?

We use Quantum stuff (still ADIC labeled), so their StorNext datamoving
software comes to mind, to age file data from our FC SAN to SATA or Tape.

We've also thought about a CAS. We're using something like that for email
(email text is shoved into a searchable database and the file attachments are
split off, hashed, and stored).

Is there anything that ties nicely into NetBackup? or are they different beasts
that need to be approached differently?

~ Robin