Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Sizing experiences ?

2008-03-26 11:59:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Sizing experiences ?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Michael Graff Andersen" <mian71 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 10:36:36 -0500
On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 10:26 AM, Michael Graff Andersen <mian71 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
We are about to replace our backup server and I have used the Backup
Planning and Performance Tuning Guide for 6.0 to size our new server

Our server people think the sizing is wrong, more specifically that it
gives to many CPUs

What are you experience regarding sizing ?

Rule #1.  There's no such thing as "too many CPUs or too much memory".
Rule #2.  See Rule #1
Rule #3.  Is your storage growing?  If it is, see rule #1.

In general, the master server needs lots of memory and cpu and the media servers need less memory but lots of I/O bandwidth.   All of them need plenty of disk space for logs - 20-50GB at a minimum and in a busy environment while troubleshooting issues, 100GB of logs is not unheard of.  Without significantly more details on what exactly you're trying to accomplish and what config you came up with, we're not going to be able to get more specific than that.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org