Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Disk and Media Manager Storage Units and error 84 (media write error) - beginners question (NetBackup 3.4 on Solaris 8)

2008-03-24 20:08:39
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Disk and Media Manager Storage Units and error 84 (media write error) - beginners question (NetBackup 3.4 on Solaris 8)
From: "Andrey Halezov" <andrey.halezov AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 18:42:57 -0500
Dear NetBackup Gurus!

I have setup several 34G disks mounted as /backupdisk_1, /backupdisk_2, /backupdisk_3 and etc... Each mount point becomes a separate Disk Storage Unit. I also have a Media Manager Storage Unit - DLT tape library with 20 tapes.

All my backup classes are setup with property "Storage_Unit" set to "any available".

  Expectation
To continue backup on the next Storage Unit (Disk or Media Manager, whichever has space available) after one of the Storage Units fills up.

 Actually happens
The backup doesn't switch to the next Storage Unit.
I get error 84 (media write error) when the hard drive mounted under /backupdisk_n fills up. The backup keeps trying to use the same Storage Unit each time getting error 84 (while there is space available on the other Disk Storage Units and Media Manager Storage Unit)

Looks like NetBackup chooses Storage Unit for the job and doesn't change to different one after the chosen Storage Unit fills up.
Is there a way to fix my setup?

Thank you,
Andrey