Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Job per day per master server?

2008-03-21 13:59:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Job per day per master server?
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 13:42:13 -0400
I'd say the hard limit is the amount of throughput you are going to expect. Three 1U Media servers only have so many expansion and bus options versus an 8U Behemoth with expansion and bus speed galore.  Then again, if you are using a SAN for disk storage then 1 HBA with 2 x 4Gbit connections makes your disk and tape a lot more accessible (and fast.)  Really, I don't think you can look at number of jobs per media server.  You need to look at amount of time running at what MB/sec per media server v(to disk and/or tape.)  If you pick an arbitrary amount, say 10,000 jobs per media server then you completely forget to account for the content of the jobs.  What if each job is a folder on a file system?  Or a small DNS server with 3GB of storage?  You'd look at that 10,000 jobs and say "wow, its overloaded" while another server backing up 150GB Database logs sets would only have 700 jobs and be "not very busy at all" while backing up (potentially) the same amount of data in the same time!

-Jonathan