Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Can a Single NetBackup Client talk to MultipleMaster?Media?

2008-03-19 18:50:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Can a Single NetBackup Client talk to MultipleMaster?Media?
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 18:38:49 -0400
Yes, you can configure multiple masters as "media servers" and the
client will respond to both masters.  The correct way to do this (IMO)
is to make each branch site a Media server, with the master in the data
center.  You can do it your way but the first incremental backup will
still be a full since there is no "last" backup to run against.

Single Master - Branch Media Servers
PROS: You can run one policy and write both locally to the branch and
centrally to the master
CONS: If the wan link goes down no backups will fire (until the link
comes back up)

Multiple Masters
PROS: If the wan link goes down backups will still happen
CONS: The client will have no clue what is being backed up to where, so
things backed up locally in the full will still get backed up by the
incremental.

Have you considered data de-duplication?  For the price of a library in
most cases you can put 500GB in de-duplicated storage onsite in an
appliance.  I'm not sure what your budget looks like but with a SAN
Media server on the branch server you could write the data locally to
the deduplication device and then replicate only the changes back across
the wan to the data center.  You get the benefits of a local backup
(speed) and the safety of having a copy offsite (DR.)

Your SLA - is that time to restore an entire down server or just a user
request for files?  If you want to put the entire server back in les
than 4 hours your are going to require backups onsite (replicated
offsite) and something like Bare-Metal Restore (comes standard with
Enterprise licenses, I think.)

I love the challenge of architecting a solution.

Good luck!

-Jonathan