Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 MP5 - Jobs queued, not going active

2008-03-14 19:36:14
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 MP5 - Jobs queued, not going active
From: Chris_Millet <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 19:23:05 -0400
hah ok we tried MP6 on our environment that was having this problem..  Not
good!  Within hours the server had become unresponsive with over 700 bpdbm
processes running.. top said load was 255!  we couldn't even get netbackup stop
or bp.kill_all to work so we had to just reboot the master server to get it
unstuck.  It proceeded to do this three times before we backed out the patch.
The catalog is a mess now with tons of missing .f files we have to go clean up.

Right now our situation is that about 1000 filesystem backups start.. we have
128 VTL drives across 6 media servers.  no mpx so it's just 1 job per VTL
drive.  We cannot seem to keep all of the drives busy and sometimes it reaches
a point where only a couple jobs are active with hundreds still Queued.  Device
Monitor shows all the drives as ACTIVE but nothing is running on them.  Most of
the jobs are just saying "requesting resource XXXXXX" which is a VTL tape and
sitting there for hours.