Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Remote Online Backups

2008-03-14 14:52:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Remote Online Backups
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 14:27:49 -0400
A suggestion I tend to favor for Windows is putting in a DFS (or similar) solution where by all data as Remote Site A is replicated (bit by changed bit) back to a DFS in the data center.  We're using a home-grown similar solution for our Linux / Unix replication here.  Come backup time you just grab the local datacenter copy.

Similar to Ed below, we also looked at a Data Domain appliance (and replication) to de-dupe the data locally then send it across the wire for backup to tape / keep offsite.  The appliance fills the gap Ed mentions below where a local copy of the data is available, but adding an extra box (even a "cheap" appliance) would definitely be more expensive than the Pruedish solution below.

-Jonathan