Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5

2008-03-13 04:04:45
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 07:45:34 -0000
Hi Tony
First, let me say that my comments were not aimed at you, it was purely a simple question.

I am in the process of planning for my 6.5.1 upgrade, and the key point I haev focused on is reverting back.

For example, I am planning for the following:

1) 2 x good catalog backups, one in the robot, the other in an alternative location
2) disk based catalog backup (so in total, 3 cat backups I can revert back from)
3) A snapshot image of the System PRIOR to any work being done on the Master Server
4) Secondary Image on a backup system

Another consideration is a second server, built and configured as the live box, same parts, firmware ect and use this as a secondary backup plan.

Sounds OTT? yes of course.... but like I mentioned, I am covering all angles.

I recently attended a Symantec meeting and one of the discussions was the 5.1 to 6.5.1 upgrade, and it seems clear that Symantec have done everything possible to help people move off of 5.x and upgrade with very little trouble or problems. That is not to say it will go wrong (as in your case), but it seems to be a case of trying to prepare for everything you possibly can.

And you could bet your dollar something "unusual" may well crop up.

The procedure for rolling back...... well from the Master it would be uninstall the NEW version, reinstall the 5.1 software, and restore the catalog from backup. I would imagine that if you had media servers, it would be the same (ie: restore from catalog).

Please could anyone correct me on this process, because for my plan of revert, its simply a case of "going back to a snap shot image" and I am done :-)

Like I said, I do not have real world experience, but I am doing this all in a test lab - so I hope this goes someway to show I am doing some research.

Thanks, Simon