Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RMAN backup fails...gives no error

2008-03-07 12:17:25
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RMAN backup fails...gives no error
From: "Sponsler, Michael" <Michael.Sponsler AT ngc DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 10:48:15 -0600
Netbackup 6.0 MP5, Solaris 10 Master Server, Solaris 8 Media Server w/
SCSI attached Quantum SDLT600 superloader (Sun SPARC v440 hardware),
SuSE Ent. Linux 9 (64bit)  Client (Sun Opteron AMD64 x4200 hardware)
Oracle 10g

The Linux client runs the oracle db.  The Linux client was created via
an image that was used to make 14 other oracle db servers on the same
x4200 server hardware (same amount of ram, # CPU, and CPU type) that
each work with their own media server.

Running the RMAN command (as oracle):

run {
allocate channel ch00 type 'sbt_tape';
release channel ch00;
}

Doesn't do anything.  And when I say doesn't do anything...it just sits
there.  It doesn't give an error, it doesn't give any output.   Running
debug on;  in the rman command, the output stops at:
DBGRPC:   krmxr: xc=192932958840 chid=ch00 calling peicnt

Doing an strace, I see it load up the libobk.so64 library...but it looks
like it hangs on sbtinit.

I've tried reinstalling the netbackup client...I've relinked the oracle
DB and restarted the Oracle DB.

I have a ticket open with symantec.  Oracle says it's Netbackup (of
course).

The Oracle DB cannot be reinstalled, this is a production server with a
production DB.

Any thoughts?

--
Mike Sponsler