Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL & NetBackup Best Practice

2008-03-06 20:00:10
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL & NetBackup Best Practice
From: "Marianu, Jonathan" <JM7640 AT att DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 16:50:07 -0800

Thanks Curtis,

I generally do not dup while I am backing up, other than images under 128k. (another important discussion)
The backups run at night to DSU, 1900-0600 and the duplication jobs run during the day 0800-1600.

There are often a handful of network clients that are still running jobs into the morning when the duplication starts.
The typical reasons are, the NIC has switched to half duplex, or storage was added to the host that night.
If I was using VTL for network backups, these few clients would impact duplication because their virtual tapes are still in use.

A smaller media size does mitigate this but does not eliminate the problem and creates a higher media count.

As to the other question, I use bpduplicate instead of direct export on my VTLs.
Here are a few of my reasons:
-highest media compression
-higher degree of confidence in restoreability from physical tape
-prioritization of images that need to be duplicated first
-All versions of NBU, and brands of VTL and libraries support this duplication configuration
-imageDB is aware of all image copies. I use that to report the RTE of an application based on the different risk scenarios. (Restore from VTL or restore from tape, the current location of that tape)

Jonathan Marianu (mah ree ah' nu)
AT&T Storage Planning and Design Architect
(360) 597-6896
Work Hours 0800-1800 PST M-F

Manager: Jim Taylor (dt3249)
(678) 893-3170