Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Looking for suggestions vaulting/duplication-related

2008-03-06 15:16:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Looking for suggestions vaulting/duplication-related
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Nathan Kippen" <nate.kippen AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 14:42:24 -0500

You can do inline copy of tapes as you write them (assuming you have enough drives).   That is what we do for our ~8TB Production database (or to be more exact what we do for backup of the EMC BCV snap we do every day.

Our Prod database is on EMC Symmetrix.  Each night we do a BCV Synch to copy the database differences over from primary to BCV disks.  Once the sync is done we “split” the BCVs and mount the BCV volumes to our NBU master server.   (We put Oracle in “hot backup” mode 6 nights a week and do a “cold backup” with Oracle down once a week.)   The backup started on these volumes does 2 copies of each stream at the same time.   This process takes about 18-20 hours so we’re preparing to add more streams (we’re migrating most other backups to Data Domain de-dupe devices installed late last year).

It works fairly well most of the time – we can send tapes offsite pretty much the minute the backup completes.   On the downside is that NBU (6.0 MP4) doesn’t seem to deal with all failures of in line copies well so on occasion only one of the two copies for a given stream will be made.  We’re hoping this is fixed in 6.5.

Of course you can always just run bpduplicate from a script to do what you want instead.   Your script would make the decisions about what to do when.