Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL & NetBackup Best Practice

2008-03-05 15:39:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VTL & NetBackup Best Practice
From: "Paul Keating" <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
To: "Kevin Whittaker" <Kevin.Whittaker AT syniverse DOT com>, "Mike Ferlote" <merked AT rogers DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 14:56:30 -0500

From: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu [mailto:veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu] On Behalf Of Kevin Whittaker
Sent: March 05, 2008 1:55 PM
To: Mike Ferlote; veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

I have a heavily clustered environment with 27 Media Servers.  Well, an ORACLE DB could fail over from one server at any time.  Well, when I originally setup the servers with 1 or 2 drives each, there was not enough on a robot with 20 drives to have the same robot on each media server.  Well, what happens when the server A goes down that points to robot 1, and the DB fails over to server B and it only sees robot 2?!?  I would have to scramble to make robot 1 visible on server B.  I did see something in the VTL that might allow me to transfer the tape over from one robot to another and then I guess I would inventory the robot.... but alas I am unsure.

Interesting. I decided to go in a different direction.
I allow the master to control the robots.
as long as both servers in your cluster see the same robot, they can see the same tapes.

Issue 2.... I do all my vaulting on my master server.  Since my media servers are also production servers, I do not want to hit them with so much IO for duplication.  So the master server needed to have tape drives on each robot.

Again, if the master controls the robot and sees enough drives in each as you require to perform the duplicating, it can see all the tapes, and perform all the vaulting.

I actually use 1 virtual robot with 100 drives.
I allocate 25 drives to each of 4 media servers, one being the master itself. Each server can see any tape in the library.

Also, now I share the robots with in the VCS clusters and make sure that each server in the cluster can see all the robots.  So, I can do restores with out any issues.

With one robot, it's a non-issue.

Lastly, I don't have to generate 13 robots with 20 tape drives each to turn off multiplexing!  Yes, that is how many tape drives I would have needed to meet that demand.

Me neither.

Paul

La version française suit le texte anglais.

This email may contain privileged and/or confidential information, and the Bank of
Canada does not waive any related rights. Any distribution, use, or copying of this
unauthorized. If you received this email in error please delete it immediately from

Le présent courriel peut contenir de l'information privilégiée ou confidentielle.
La Banque du Canada ne renonce pas aux droits qui s'y rapportent. Toute diffusion,
personne autre que le ou les destinataires désignés est interdite. Si vous recevez
ce courriel par erreur, veuillez le supprimer immédiatement et envoyer sans délai à
l'expéditeur un message électronique pour l'aviser que vous avez éliminé de votre
ordinateur toute copie du courriel reçu.