Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup / Less Data?

2008-02-29 17:57:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup / Less Data?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 16:44:54 -0600
On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 3:39 PM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:
I've got several "archive" servers running Windows 2000.  Most of them have disks with (for example) 800GB on an NTFS partition compressed down to 200GB of actual physical disk space.  If I used flashbackup to backup these / bit level would I be able to save 600GB of tape?  Will I still be able to do single file level restore?  Just a thought I had.

Flash Backup copies the bits on disk, whether they have data on them or not.  If you give it a 800GB volume, it will back up 800GB even if you have a 1k file on the volume.   However, it sounds like you're giving it 200GB of disk, so that's what it's going to back up.

Yes, you can do single file restores.   I'd certainly want to do some testing, though, especially considering that you're using a really old version of the OS.  I don't even know if W2K is support for Flash Backups.  How it really handles Windows compressed volumes is going to be interesting...

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org