Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Flashbackup restores

2008-02-29 17:29:12
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup restores
From: "Leidy, Jason D" <Leidy.Jason AT con-way DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 29 Feb 2008 14:09:01 -0800

We recently had a Windows server crash, we were using  Flashbackup to back it up. We decided to do a redirected restore (raw partition) to another standbye server. The original server had a 352GB partition (300 of it is used space), we thought this would be a good opportunity to expand the amount of free space so we allocated and created a 500GB partition on the new server (san attached). The restore went fine but we noticed when we were done that My Computer indicates the original size and used\free space, Disk Manager shows the entire 500GB partition.

In short, we lost 148GB of free space. Symantec said that’s the way Flashbackup works, it’s a best practice to restore to a partition of the exact same size (no problem if we are restoring to the original drive). Anyway, this doesn’t seem right…….I would think this leaves Windows in an unstable state. Anyone run into this before?

Is there a work-around? As I understand it, it’s all or nothing with Full restores on Flashbackup.

Jason Leidy

Con-way Enterprise Services

Windows Server Group

503-450-3958