Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] market coverage of tape libraries and SAN switches

2008-02-28 13:31:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] market coverage of tape libraries and SAN switches
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Peacock Dennis - dpeaco" <Dennis.Peacock AT acxiom DOT com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2008 12:07:44 -0600
On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 10:04 AM, Peacock Dennis - dpeaco <Dennis.Peacock AT acxiom DOT com> wrote:

Data Encryption for backups. Wow…what a topic. We've tried doing encryption via Netbackup and the tape backup performance went from 60MB/s per tape drive to 6MB/s per tape drive. No central key management and required manual tracking of encryption keys.

Software-based encryption is going to suck for performance.   CPUs get faster, but then encryption routines have to get more complex so it's a never-ending battle.  For a small subset of data, client-side encryption might be acceptable, but in general, don't use software encryption (or compression).

We've got multiple Decru appliances and we can top out writing over 100MB/sec. As long as you don't saturate the appliances - and I believe the practical limit is 2 LTO-3 drives per FC520 - encryption is nearly a realtime operation.

   .../Ed

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org