Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Overland Neo tape libraries -- Any good?

2008-02-26 12:00:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Overland Neo tape libraries -- Any good?
From: "Austin Murphy" <austin.murphy AT gmail DOT com>
To: jond <x AT jond DOT com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2008 11:27:02 -0500
I have a dual unit Neo 4000 that gets some fairly heavy usage.  I'm
not much impressed with the quality.  We have had multiple problems
with the picker hand and the elevator.  The 2000 does not have an
elevator so that may not be an issue for you.  We have also had some
flakeyness with the door latches.  The screws get a little loose and
they jam shut.  Our tape operators now know to look out for loose
screws.

Tech support for Overland is decent.  The techs on the other end are
pretty knowledgeable and the onsite service from Anacomp is good.
Don't expect much in the way of troubleshooting though.  They mostly
just swap parts.

The next library that I spec will probably be a Qualstar.  I have not
used one yet, but I like what I see.   The thing that sticks in my
head is "Positive-pressure, filtered air".  In otherwords, instead of
sucking dust in through the cracks in the case, it blows air out.

Austin