Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] bpgp is gone from 6.5 and now bpdir too !?

2008-02-25 06:55:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] bpgp is gone from 6.5 and now bpdir too !?
From: parsonsa <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 03:38:55 -0800
Of course, you are all correct, my hack isn't really a replacement for the
original tools at all, although it will allow you to pull from a client. To be
honest, it's extremely ugly, not at all portable, probably only works on
Solaris, I just wanted to prove that the wall is not impenetrable.

So let's think about this. All bpdir and bpgp do is send some bytes down some
sockets, I'd imagine there's a handshake of sorts and then the data is just
sent down a stream one way or the other. It probably isn't total rocket science
to reverse engineer the relevant aspects of the protocol. At the end of the day
it can't be too complex.

My current client has only rolled out 6.5 in one of it's three environments. I
have some 5.1 environments to play with. Potentially, if I get time, I can
apply some tcpdump / netcat knowledge and see if I can make sense of what
happens here.