Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about synthetic backups

2008-02-19 22:19:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Question about synthetic backups
From: "Haskins, Steve" <Steve.Haskins AT bannerhealth DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 20:02:22 -0700
CBergen,

  You're not the only one that would like some enlightenment...I mean,
on synthetics backups. I don't understand why incrementals have to be
continuously run at all. As I understand it, that is the point of
synthetic backups as to have a full and just backup the changes from
that point forward with synthetics? That is the way TSM's synthetic
backups work with the option of how many 'versions' to retain. I'm on
5.1 (getting ready to upgrade to 6.5.1) so maybe synthetics are
different in 6.x? What is exactly done between the required incrementals
and the synthetics? Does each synthetic combine the previous two
incrementals and how; as a differential and then expire the two tapes
that were used for the incrementals (just an example if two were used)or
delete the incrementals images on the tapes OR disk?

Regards,
Steve