Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of NTFS:

2008-02-15 11:52:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Speaking of NTFS:
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: Adam.Mellor AT woodside.com DOT au, VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 10:36:47 -0600
Adam,

This is a good thread and I am going to add my comments, but am interested
to hear what others have to say.

First, we have the same issue with large, slow, Windows clients. Typically
we employ the break it up into separate datastreams/policies approach for
these. This works, but is a real headache to get the right configuration to
fit into the window.

I've also tried flashbackup, which works better if you have the bandwidth,
but ended up taking about the same amount of time as several Windows
policies. The problem in this situation was the large amount of free space
that gets backed up. I opted to go back to the several policies approach,
for now.

I am very interested in checking out the SAN client, but it currently has
limitations of disk only targets and certain HBAs. The situation I am in
does not really allow us to turn the clients into SAN Media Servers, but I
have done this in the past and I did not like it. As you probably know,
drive issues or NBU maintenance may require rebooting your Media Server,
which is a bad thing when it's a production application server. So you then
get into the no backups or take a downtime lose-lose choice.

Defragging can help, and there are several of the defrag vendors out there
that have data to support this. I don't believe that the included Windows
'diskeeper lite' version will help much, but I don't have any personal
experience to support this, only what I've heard from the list and others.

If your data is pretty static, synthetic backups may be an option (but I
don't know if I would do it!). I'm also interested in what PureDisk can do
for these clients.

I plan on testing this in a lab in the next few weeks and I'll share my
findings when I get to that point.

-Rusty