Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VSP Files

2008-02-07 07:51:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VSP Files
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 7 Feb 2008 06:35:10 -0600
You need to uninstall the maintenance pak, then uninstall the client, then reboot.  If you're not unlucky and found yourself with an unbootable system, you can then re-install the client, using the custom installation option to not install VSP.  Once you've done this, you can then upgrade the clients in the future without reboots.

There are cases where the uninstall will render your system unbootable - Veritas has technotes on this on how to recover.  Even though the technotes describe a very small set of cases where this can happen, we've found other cases that don't fit their description that suffered the same fate - from a blue screen on boot to a continuous reboot cycle.

VSP is evil on Windows 2003.  I am shocked that it is still installed by default when it's not required and when Veritas knows that uninstalling it could render the system unbootable.

    .../Ed