Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Include list pattern match not working??

2008-02-06 00:04:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Include list pattern match not working??
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 23:49:58 -0500
> It should use standard unix file matching patterns.

Not sure of the context you intended, but AFAIK, the
pattern-matching/wildcarding characters in selection lists, exclude
lists and include lists are interpreted by the client, running on the
client platform, using the client shell FNG and its OS's filesystem
calls.  Try using something like file[abc]* in cmd/command.com, for
instance--Windows has no idea how to deal with that.

>>From the NetBackup 6.5 Administrator's Guide for Windows, "Rules to
indicate paths in the backup selection list":

  Allowable wildcard characters are the same as those
  allowed in Windows paths: * ?

While Unix conventions are allowed (e.g., "/c/windows/system32") it
never says Unix wildcards are allowed.  From experience, I don't believe
they are.

"Pathname rules for UNIX [sic] clients" shows:

  The following wildcard characters are allowed:
  *
  ?
  [ ]
  { }

As an aside, has anyone used curly braces in a selection list?  The only
two uses I can think of are shell-variable expansion and a bash-ism like
*.{doc,xls} and I haven't tried to make either work.

Aside #2, the SAG has long insisted that case matters in Windows paths:

  Note: The drive letter is case-insensitive, however, the
  path is case-sensitive. For example, c:\Worklists\Admin\

but I haven't observed that; backing up WinNT as winnt or WINDOWS as
windows works just fine IME.

As always, one test is worth a thousand expert opinions, but I'm on the
road and can't do that.