Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] login through veritas

2008-02-05 13:27:42
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] login through veritas
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 5 Feb 2008 18:11:33 +0000
On Tue, Feb 05, 2008 at 11:27:21AM -0600, Dirk_Lutz AT rush DOT edu wrote:
> Does anyone know if there's a way to get a shell prompt through Veritas
> Netbackup using telnet?

I'm not sure what you mean by through Netbackup.  Normally the host OS
will be responsible for running a telnet server.

> If this is possible, does the media server control
> the password and can this password be changed. Also, what username does
> netbackup use and why isn't it in /etc/passwd?

On unix (assuming since you mention /etc/passwd), it doesn't have a
login.  The system utilities run as root processes.

> (Does Netbackup use a shell when it backs up clients and can this
> shell be accessed manually using telnet to log into a client.)

No, there's no shell.  The usual method was that the server would
contact the client on the 'bpcd' port to launch tools.  I believe that
it's a bit more complex than that when using 'vnetd' in firewall
environments, but there's still no shell.

Can I ask what you're trying to do?  There might be some other options.
What version of Netbackup are you using?