Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Aptare Storage Console vs. Veritas Backup Reporter

2008-02-04 18:49:56
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Aptare Storage Console vs. Veritas Backup Reporter
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: jack.l.forester AT lmco DOT com, veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 17:39:25 -0600
We are doing one right now, but won't have any info for a couple of weeks.

We currently use Aptare (6.0.24), but my manager was wowed by VBR at the recent Veritas Engineering Conference so we are now looking at VBR. There are quite a few nice enhancements in Aptare 6.5 that we are waiting on, so I think that will close up the race quite a bit.
I'll report back when we have our findings, but I would recommend that you do a comparison of both tools. I know that VBR can collect data and then you can send that data to Symantec who will then bundle it into a useable product with your collected data. I'm pretty sure Aptare can do this same thing, but don't quote me on that. For us, this will be VERY nice for a side by side comparison. You'll also need to know what reports you want or might want in the future as there may be some things coming out soon that you wouldn't otherwise know about. There's also the storage reporting features of Aptare, which I do not believe VBR does, but there's probably another Symantec product that covers that. I believe both vendors can report on TSM, BackupExec, Legato, etc., but how well each one does it is a different story.

I'll remember to post what we decide on and why when we are done with the comparison.

-Rusty