Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] What's Best Practice for SSO in NBU 5.1

2008-01-29 20:34:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] What's Best Practice for SSO in NBU 5.1
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Dominik Pietrzykowski" <dominik_pietrzykowski AT toll.com DOT au>, "Veritas NetBackup" <veritas.netbackup AT gmail DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:24:13 -0500

Here’s my thoughts.  If a server is too big to back up over the LAN, then make it a LAN-free server.  As to how many server you should MAKE LAN-free and have share a single drive, I’d say that depends.  Let’s say that by moving a group of servers from LAN-based to LAN-free, each server’s backup now takes only 2 hours instead of 12.  (totally feasible).  Let’s also say that you have a 12-hour backup window (also totally feasible).  I’d say that six server with a 2-hour backup window each can share a single tape drives.  Now let’s make it 20 tape drives with 120 servers, each with a backup duration of 2 hours.  I don’t see any problem with this configuration.  OK, I am pushing the 12-hour window and I didn’t leave any room for error.  So let’s make it 100 servers and 20 tape drives, or 200 servers and 40 tape drives, each server with at 2-hour backup window.  I have no problem with this configuration.

Where the math of big numbers is really in favor of such a config is when their full backup takes 6 hours, but the only need to do that full backup once a month.  Every other day of the month they do an incremental that lasts only 15 mins.  Let’s say we have 1 tape drive and 12 hours to use it.  21 systems can now share this tape drive with time to spare.  Each night, it will do a full backup one of them, and the incremental backup of the rest.  That’s 6 hours (for the one full backup) and 5 hours for the other 20 incrementals (15 x 20 / 60), and we’ve got time to spare.  With that kind of math, 200 systems can share 10 tape drives NO PROBLEM.

Should you do it?  Why not. You’re fully leveraging your infrastructure.  Especially if by moving those servers from LAN-based to LAN-free you’re now streaming the drives.  They’ll be happier and last longer.

---

W. Curtis Preston

Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com

VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies