Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup vs. The Rest of the World

2008-01-23 15:31:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] NetBackup vs. The Rest of the World
From: "Cruice, Daniel \(US - Glen Mills\)" <dcruice AT deloitte DOT com>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>, "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2008 15:00:42 -0500

Funny you asked the question as I am going thru the same procedure.  DPM is really targeted to the smaller – midsize environment they are by no means an enterprise backup / recovery tool.  Gartner group has CommVault and Symantec rated as one two respectively.   DPM has it’s limitation such as it only backs up Microsoft products.  No Oracle client, no SAP, no AIX, no LINUX etc.  Additionally DPM will not backup itself so DR might be a little tricky.  We just had CommVault in to give their speak…let me tell you, it what they said is 100% true, Symantec has their work cut out to keep up.  CommVault will tell you straight up that the cost to implement their product is by far more than Symantec yet they guarantee a TOC savings over a two to three year span.  They are basically a one stop shop with Data replication, Data Archiving, fully operational reporting, extremely scalable to name a few.  CommVault’s support is suppose to be top notch, based in the US with both first line and backline in the same physical location.  They offer the ability to perform multiple restores simultaneously even if multiplexing was engaged performing the backup.  CommVault offers a real priority schedule where it doesn’t matter what policy is driving the backup, if a job has a high priority, it will pause the running job so the higher priority will take precedence.  Especially useful when doing restores. They offer Single Instance Storage, message level restore for exchange as well as file level restore for SharePoint.  Actually Microsoft uses CommVault to backup their DPM servers…go figure.  This is not meant to say Symantec is a bad product as it has served me well for a few years, simply saying it is good to see competition on the market.  We have been pretty satisfied w/ NBU, however there are items that are lacking or difficult to manage and again if what CommVault states is true I’d bet CommVault will be seeing more and more of the Market share in the Enterprise solution space.

A good site to visit for more CommVault information is http://documentation.commvault.com/

Cruicer.