Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Restoring NDMP backups over the network

2008-01-22 22:12:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Restoring NDMP backups over the network
From: Jeff Cleverley <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 19:57:01 -0700
Greetings,

I'm trying to help out one of our other sites that is getting ready to
make some changes to their environment.  Looking through the archives
brought up a couple of questions.  This group is going to be upgrading
the filer heads and plans to do remote snapshots to our site.  This will
eliminate their use of NetBackup.  They also do not plan to attach the
tape library to the new filer like they currently have it to the old one.

I was expecting that we would be able to do restores if we connect the
tape library to the backup server and then restore any needed data over
the network to the new filer.  The messages I found in the archives
mention that NDMP dumps can only be restored back to a filer.  Here are
the questions that came up.

1.  Are all NDMP backups classified as dumps, or should we still be able
to restore selected files to another location either on a filer or
another file system?  The backups are configured for the file system
level backups, but of type NDMP.

2.  Are there any known gotchas that will either require us to connect
the library to the new filer or prevent us from doing a standard restore?

The backup version is 5.1 MP5 running on a hpux 11.11 server.  The tape
library is scsi attached.

Thanks,

Jeff

--