Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Application Comparisons

2008-01-17 14:47:40
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Backup Application Comparisons
From: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>
To: "Hall, Christian N." <HallC AT SEC DOT GOV>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 13:26:24 -0600

I think everyone is just trying to do due diligence in case anyone questions why we use NetBackup.  I recently had to restore a single volume, 2.5TB  of millions of small files.  The restore kept timing out until I bumped up the timeout to something like 18 hours and drilled down to sub folders.  I had to restore in chunks instead of the entire volume at once.  One particular subfolder really took a long time after I submitted the job.  Literally half a day later, the queued job finally went active.

I’m fortunate in that this was probably the largest restore I’ve had to do thus far.  But it’s unfortunate that I didn’t know about this drawback until now.  That was one single volume.  I can’t even begin to imagine what it would be like to try to recover 600 clients from a real disaster.  I knew NetBackup didn’t like backing up a Windows file structure like that, but I didn’t know about the restore issues.  I would have to start restoring sub-sub-sub-sub folders, one at a time, to get the jobs to not timeout.

That’s what caused my boss to start asking about other backup applications.  Do they have the same limitation?  The other major influence is the maintenance renewal check we’re having to pay each year.  Money is the big motivator for comparison shopping but I’m also looking at functionality.

Thanks,

Randy