Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Job hung

2008-01-09 14:59:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Restore Job hung
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Jackson, Todd" <c-todd.jackson AT invitrogen DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2008 14:41:40 -0500

No work around needed.  You basically have to wait for the one stream to finish before the other one starts.  It will eventually restore (I’ve seen it take up to 18 hours because that’s how long one stream took to restore then it started the next stream).   We’ve never really worried about it as we usually only see when we’re doing a database refresh of one of our test/training instances from our production instance.

I’m not sure you really can work around any way.   You’d have to try to do individual restores for each stream (backupid) but even then you’d have to make the restores “per tape” which might not be possible if a file spanned tapes within one of the streams as is likely the case.

The problem with this is you don’t “know” it’s the problem until the end of the stream that has the tape.   You can “predict” it is by verifying more than one image (stream) uses the same tape but then you have to cross your fingers that this is in fact the issue and not something else.   I’ve seen it frequently enough that once I’ve done the “prediction” I am willing to let it go and check the next day for completion but then again I have that luxury owing to the nature of the restores.

Unfortunately I’ve never found a way to tell separate streams of the same backup to NOT use the same tape even after asking that question here so its something I’ve learned to live with on the occasions I’ve run into it.