Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy

2008-01-09 10:45:41
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backup Strategy
From: tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 07:19:36 -0800
I'm not really clear if you have a central BE server or each server backs
itself up to local tape from this, but if you don't have a single media server
I would strongly suggest that that be an important part of your strategy.  If
your are talking 14 SDLT tape total for your whole environment, you may find a
de-dupe appliance a bit steep for your taste.  If it's for each server, then
that many appliances is going to drain your budget.

I'm a big fan of de-dupe myself, but if you really need to do this at minimum
investment, you might look at a simple RAID array for your backups- BE lets you
put the data on disk, then dupe to tape later.  Not as clean a solution as
Netbackup, but it does work.  You can run your backups at night to disk, then
dupe to tape during the day when someone is around to swap the tapes.

Retention on disk can be set shorter than tape, so you don't need more than
about 4 days' worth of disk space (cover long weekends, holidays).

Heck- if you have enough open drive bays in your media server, all you need is
disk.  Not as elegant as de-dupe, but it'll get the job done- and restores from
disk are usually MUCH faster than from tape.

De-dupe is the "right" answer, but if you can't get there yet- this is a good
place to start.

Tom