Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Script Restores?

2008-01-07 10:32:22
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Script Restores?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2008 09:11:40 -0600
On 1/7/08, Paul Keating <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca> wrote:
Sure, look up bprestore.

But, is there any reason you wouldn't just connect a 9840 to your new
system, import the tapes and dupe the image to LTO3.
I'd give it a try before going the restore -> backup route.

This is an excellent suggestion since the restore/backup route has many issues.  First, all of your expiration dates will be recalculated doing this.  Secondly, you're going to have fun duplicating your incremental backup images...  Restoring a full, backing it up, and then restoring separately an incremental and backing it up probably won't give you what you started with.

Paul's approach is a good one - get NetBackup to duplicate the image to LTO3 then expire the images on the 9840s.  You can probably find a 3rd party that can duplicate all those images to a new format too.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org