Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How Many Engineers Does It Take To Backup a Lightbulb

2008-01-04 09:10:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How Many Engineers Does It Take To Backup a Lightbulb
From: "Stump, Bob A" <Bob.A.Stump AT fnis DOT com>
To: "Randy Samora" <Randy.Samora AT stewart DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 07:55:06 -0600

Randy,

There is an ancient riddle that applies to this.

How many cows’ tails would it take to reach from here to the moon?

Answer…only one, if it is long enough!

Complexity of the environment is the main determination factor.

There are small complex environments that require a lot of attention and thus many people.

There are HUGE environments that are simplistic and thus require fewer people to maintain.

What is the difference between a complex and a simplistic environment?

Answer … the quality of planning and the confidence level of the NetBackup admin to stand up to management.

It doesn’t matter how sharp the “Engineers” are if management does not back them up.

Service level agreement, (SLA) is another important factor.

If you have a 7/24/365 environment with SLA then number of people required goes up dramatically.

It doesn’t matter how talented and capable the people are, burnout can and will manifest in turnovers.

Turnovers are BAD and can drastically affect your SLA due to the learning curve.

Even the most knowledgeable NetBackup guru will have a learning curve when introduced to a new site.

Minimize that by having an adequate number of people to allow for sick days, vacation, and training and compensation time.

Meetings!

That word in itself should be an adequate argument for at least another person.

Go for quality NetBackup engineers that use the CLI vs. the GUI

Scripting can/will help keep a tight environment.