Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Enterprise Backup Success Rate (Non Technical)

2008-01-04 09:01:03
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Enterprise Backup Success Rate (Non Technical)
From: "Steven L. Sesar" <ssesar AT mitre DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 04 Jan 2008 08:46:10 -0500
For management, I count successful jobs. They care that our data has
been protected, and regardless of the number of attempts, it has been.
We *do* parse out the number of attempts in the report. One successful
job counts for one job in the report, regardless of how many tries it
took, same with failures. If a job tries three times to run and fails
each time, we count it as one failure.

For our admins, I generate a report which details jobs which failed
initially, but succeeded during subsequent attempts. This can be an
indication of a problem and if these retries occur frequently, I ask
them to investigate.

X_S wrote:
> do you guys count retries to the success rates?  number of Job Attempts as
> opposed to just number of Jobs.  Our overall completion rate is fairly high
> as well but i too wondered the definition of "success rate"

===================================

   Steven L. Sesar
   Lead Operating Systems Programmer/Analyst
   UNIX Application Services R101
   The MITRE Corporation
   202 Burlington Road - MS K101
   Bedford, MA 01730